Here are answers to the most common FAQS and some general information on living in the Barrington Illinois area.
- Q. Where is Barrington Illinois? A. Barrington IL is in the northwest suburbs of Chicago 38 miles from Chicago.
- Q. What county is Barrington in? A. Barrington is in both Cook County and Lake County. Parts of the Barrington Hills are in McHenry and Kane Counties.
- Q. What are the villages of Barrington? A. Barrington, Barrington Hills, Lake/North/South Barrington, Deer Park, Tower Lakes, Inverness.
- Q. What is the zip code for Barrington? A. All Barrington Villages including Deer Park, Tower Lakes and about half of Inverness have the zip code 60010.
- Q. How big is Barrington? A. The land space occupies about 90 square miles.
- Q. What is the population of 60010? A. 51828 as of 2014. That includes residents in Inverness under 60010.
- Q. How far is the commute to Chicago? A. Read more on commuting and travel from airports.
- Q. What are the differences between each Barrington? A. Read our to get a feel for each village.
- Q. Is the cost of living in 60010 high? A. The index is 107 where the average USA index is 100.
- Q. Are homes expensive in 60010? A. Our median price is $600,000 significantly higher than state average.
- Q. What are the price ranges? A. $100,000 to $20 Million
- Q. What types of homes are there? A. The majority are single family, about 10% condos and town houses.
- Q. Give me some examples of properties? A. Luxury homes, gated communities, equestrian, waterfront, acreage, new construction, custom builds.
- Q. What is the average age of homes? A. 26 years according to the last census.
- Q. Can I find any Historical homes? A. Yes, we have homes going back to the late 1800’s, they are in Barrington Village center.
- Q. How much are real estate taxes? A. A good estimate is 2% of property value per year. i.e. value $600,000, taxes $12,000. Some variation.
- Q. What is the population density? A. Low at 603 per square mile.
- Q. Are the schools good? A. Barrington Public Schools in District 220 score very well. Check for school ratings on any property listing on this site.
- Q. Is the weather in Barrington nice? A. We wrote a post about the weather, view it here.
- Q. Do you sell in any other areas? A. Yes, please see below.
Areas with Homes Similar to Barrington
Aside from the village center, where most of the homes are on smaller lots, the majority of Barrington real estate is on larger lots, especially the outlying villages. Many of the homes are on 1 to 2 acre lots, only Barrington Hills has 5, 10 and larger. Buyers may not always find exactly what they want in Barrington, or they want a different school district. Not to worry, just a zip code away in 60047 are very similar homes in Hawthorn Woods, Kildeer and Long Grove. If you are looking to buy in any of these areas, we’re here to help you.
Fox River Grove is a small town next to Lake Barrington which falls inside the Barrington School District. The are a few luxury homes in Fox River Grove in the Hunters Farm subdivision. Let us know if you want a large newer home with a smaller lot, this might be the perfect location for you.
Daily Life in The Barrington Area
Hopefully by now you’ve realized that Barrington’s real estate is perfect for your new home. Once you’ve closed and settled in it’s time to get on with life. Aside from working and children going to school, you’ll need to explore a little to learn what a great place Barrington is to Live, Work and Play. That’s the village motto and for good reason. Here are some helpful facts to help you on your way.
- Barrington Village has a shopping area with large grocery store and many boutique outlets. Larger big box stores are in Palatine, Lake Zurich, Schaumburg. There are two high end shopping malls, both outdoor. One is in Deer park, the second in South Barrington. Daily shopping is never far, depending on where you live choose from Lake Zurich, Wauconda, Fox River Grove, Palatine, Schaumburg, Hoffman Estates and Barrington.
- The Barrington Area Library is located in the middle of Barrington are provides 60,000 square feet of recently re-designed space housing books, audio, films, reference and databases for all the residents of 60010 to enjoy. There are clubs and meeting rooms and a branch office in South Barrington by the Tennis Club. Barrington Area Library services the largest geographical district in Ilinois.
- Medical needs are well cared for in the area. Advocate Good Shepherd Hospital is a level 2 trauma center located in the north part of our zip code. St Alexis Medical Center in Hoffman Estates is also a level 2 trauma center just south of South Barrington. There are plenty of Doctors and Dentist offices and there are more hospitals in nearby towns. Specialized care centers are found throughout the area too.
- Nature is all around us. We have Citizens For Conservation in Lake Barrington, The Stillman Center in South Barrington, Flint Creek Wildlife Rehabilitation, there are several forest preserve areas and walking trails. whether you want to hike on the weekend, take the binoculars and spot rare birds or learn how our area is being preserved as a country, get involved or visit these locations and learn.
- Pets. Cats and dogs in Barrington must be inoculated against Rabies. Any pet outdoors must be wearing their tag. It’s not recommended you let your cats out, we do have Coyotes in the area and cats and small dogs are lunch or dinner. When taking the dog for a walk they must be leashed. You can take your dog for a walk in all of the forest preserves, just take some baggies and do the right thing. Lakewood Forest Preserve just north of Wauconda is the place to take your dog to run off leash. Of course many of us have lots large enough to exercise our dogs at home. Just be aware that village ordinances prohibit fences. Most dog owners will opt for electronic fencing. Small dog runs are allowed near the house. Check your local village for more specific guidance. And just in case, there are plenty of vet clinics and boarding choices.
- Sports, while not my favorite pass time it is popular with the kids. And Dads. Lake Barrington has the Canlan Sports Complex for indoor soccer, volleyball, basketball, dodge ball and pickle ball, both adult and little leagues. There’s also fitness for all. There’s the Langendorf Aquatic Center, Good Shepherd Sports and Fitness Center, South Barrington Tennis and Swimming Pool club. If relaxing and movies are more your style there are plenty of Theaters including an IMAX theater at South Barrington AMC. Bicycling is popular here too and there are plenty of places to take the bike without running into traffic. Come summer you’ll see biking clubs out in force.
- Barrington has an extensive park district with all sorts of year round activities for all ages.
- Barrington is not far from major league sports events either. Go see the Cubs, Bulls or Blackhawks in Chicago and the Allstate Arena in Roselle. 45 -60 minutes away.
- A bite to eat. Now that’s a pass time everyone likes especially after all that activity! From fast food to fine dining, the Barrington area has everything you can think of and more. We have 66 restaurants to choose from. (Maybe more :).
If it’s all too much, well you could just stay at home and have a barbecue on the patio!