Chicagoland is a large area of real estate. Home to somewhere just under 10 million people in both city and suburbs it’s no wonder our real estate is diverse in lifestyles, prices and affordability. I am fortunate to live in an area I consider to be very similar to my original home town in Hampshire England. My home town now is Barrington Illinois and the blend of country with amenities is just perfect for me.
Many if not most of our suburbs are very urban in nature. Barrington IL is about 35 miles outside of the city and passes through many of these more urban towns as you head northwest from Chicago. Then it changes. The entire Barrington area has a country feel with country homes for sale. Yet we are not out in the vast lands where it’s miles and miles to the nearest store. In fact quite the countrary. You see that while Barrington IL is now 150 years from it’s incorporation into a village it has managed to maintain it’s country lifestyle and always will. Barrington IL does have everything residents need for daily living but it’s proximity to other nearby more urban towns, provides a strong infrastructure of shopping, medical facilities, leisure choices and so on.
Barrington IL indeed blends it’s country suburban character with the historic village center just minutes away to give residents the best of both worlds. For me it’s very similar to where I lived in Hampshire England. The only thing missing is taller hills and dales. My question to you is this. Does Barrington IL offer you the best of both worlds? Are you looking for all amenities closeby and a country lifestyle at the same time? If so I think you cannot go wrong with chosing Barrington IL as the place to call home.
Before you go buying a home in country suburban Barrington, I am sure you would want to know what we have a what we don’t have. This is not an exhaustive list and if you have a question, please ask.
- A great school district. The majority of Barrington residents attend schools in the Barrington 220 district. As a Realtor I can only measure the word great by experience with my kids and with report cards. For both, Barrington Schools are top scoring schools and academically and otherwise offer a wide variety in choice and levels. From clients already moved here I can confirm many chose Barrington because of the schools.
- Shopping is diverse, from the village center of Barrington with major grocery store to boutiques and uniques. Surrounding areas include two outdoor shopping malls, strip malls, shopping areas. While Barrington may not have all the big box stores you’ll find them all close by in neighboring towns, so it’s never far to go. Indoor shopping malls are also in many of the nearby northwest suburbs. Barrington has car dealerships too.
- Leisure can be as simple as going to the single screen theater in town, or the IMAX on the south of town. We’ve got ice-skating, a Canlan Sports Complex, a park district that offers all sorts of activities year round, several fitness areas and swimming pools, bowling and miles and miles of conservation areas and walking trails.
- Golf courses are found in gated communities and outside. Most are required membership, one public course.
- A plethora of eateries give residents the choice from fast food to upscale restaurants and can be found in all the Barrington villages.
- Events. Barrington has events all year round. Whether you are into gardening, arts and crafts, nature and wildlife, mini farming, or celebrating any of the holidays, somewhere in Barrington there will be an event for you and your family.
- Barrington Village Hall. In fact each village has it’s own, so whether you need help on day to day things, events, building, opening a business, or just asking a question, the village hall staff are there to assist.
- We have a major hospital at Advocate Good Shepherd, a level II trama center and currently undergoing a large expansion project.
- There’s no shortage of General Practitioner Doctors and Dentist, or specialists, in our area.
- Barrington has service providers for whatever you need, plumbers, electricians, builders, and surrounding areas create a great market place for your needs.
- Barrington IL is considered a car dependent community. We do not have buses except those provided by some of our senior communities. In the center of the village is a Metra Train station for commuting to down town Chicago, that takes about an hour.
Given all that Barrington does offer it’s residents I consider the infrastructure here and locally to be excellent. I think you will too.
Barrington IL Country Lifestyles
With such excellent amenities it’s no wonder buyers seek out Barrington IL as a target community to move to. We get Chicago city residents choosing our suburb and relocation buyers too. So what is it like to live in country suburban Barrington, what’s the real estate like and can Barrington IL be the place you choose to move to?
In real estate buyers moving from one town to the next, from out of state or even from outside the USA, one thing must always be done, prior to looking at homes. Chose your community. Sometimes buyers pick a few communities to consider but usually within close proximity to each other. If Barrington is on that list we already know you like the amenities, the country lifestyle or both. Other choices that are closeby that have similar appeal are Kildeer and Long Grove. Their real estate is also country suburban.,
Having chosen Barrington IL it’s important to know we have several communities each with their own style of real estate. Whether different by price, acreage, home styles or lifestyles within our country suburban zip code, we are here to help you find the right property. Here’s some general real estate information to get you started.
- Homes include condos, town homes, single family homes, luxury homes, gated communities, golf communities, waterfront homes, estate homes, mansions, equestrian properties, historic homes, in other words homes for first time buyers and up.
- If you want homes with smaller lot sizes you’ll want to look in the village of Barrington itself. It’s also the location for our limited supply of condos and town homes.
- If you want an acre or more, you’ll select any of the surrounding Barrington villages. You’ll be directed by price and location but also the type of lifestyle you want, i.e. Equestrian or luxury.
- Pricing is low to high. Starting at $115,000 and reaching $19 million. Median price is $575,000.
- Some real estate is not in Barrington School District.
- Most properties are zoned residential, we have some zoned agricultural.
- Planned unit developments are common, Home Owner Associations do have covenants.
- We have one active adult community and two gated 18 hole golf course communities.
- Fencing is allowed in the village but not in the surrounding real estate on acreage. Fencing is allowed on horse property appropriate for horses. Pet fencing is by in ground electrical fences and dog collars.
- Villages have sensible restrictions on quantity of pets or animals.
- Swimming pools are allowed but for the most part must be inground or indoors. Some subdivisions prohibit pools altogether.
- Homes outside of village with an acre or more are on private well and septic systems.
Or view by community:
What Really Makes Barrington IL A Country Lifestyle?
I am sure if you ask 10 people you’ll get 10 different answers. Here’s what makes Barrington IL the place I want to live and my idea of a country lifestyle.
When I look out my front or back windows I see vast expanses of lawn yet I know I am close to amenities. I also see towering trees, creeks and streets with no walking paths. Two of our villages are dedicated tree cities, protecting and planting, creating a wildlife rich environment.
Our bird feeders now attract over 20 different species, we’ve even got Sand Hill Cranes living with us. The White Tailed Deer come to visit to see if there are scraps to clean up. We’ve got squirrels and chipmunks as well as field mice doing the same. At dusk we can hear the owls and the bats hunting for food as they whip around the yard.
I can go walking along the trails and not see a house but experience the quiet outdoors. There are like minded residents doing the same, jogging or talking the dog for a walk. I can watch the four seasons change the landscape I live in. The world and work seem a lifetime away. Just put the phone down for a minute and you’ll experience the same!
It’s quiet! No freeway noise, no high rises, and a low crime rate too!
Is Barrington IL a place you think has the right vibe for you? We would be proud to help you with your home purchase in country suburban Barrington. It’s a great place to live, work and play!
Call Corinne at 847-363-3686.
Here’s a video of some of our country suburban homes in Barrington.
Map Location of Barrington IL
You can see surrounding Barrington Village Center how green our area is. Look far east and far west, not as green.