- Corinne Guest – Barrington & Northwest Suburbs Residential Real Estate Service.
- Get a Pro Home Valuation if you are Selling.
- Using our Home Search to See your Competition.
- Your Involvement in the Process, Staging and Preparing for Sale.
- Keeping your Marketing Rolling.
- From Offer to Contract to Closing, who does what? Who can I call?
- Tell Me What I should Understand About Real Estate Commission.
- The Home Sellers Process Must Embrace New Technology alongside Traditional Marketing.
Corinne Guest – Barrington & Northwest Suburbs Residential Real Estate Service.
The home sellers process is to help home owners new and experienced understand what it takes to sell a home in todays market. If you have a home you want to sell in Barrington or the Northwest suburbs of Chicago, allow me to help make it a smooth transaction, with a home sellers experience being based on our honesty, my experience and service that offers quality instead of quantity.
Get a Pro Home Valuation if you are Selling.
We understand there are several places online you can get an instant valuation fo your home but the process is flawed. Computers will locate your address and find homes around you that have sold. Single family homes next to condos will be pulled down in value. Condos near single family homes will be pulled up. Computers just cannot filter our the things it should be ignoring. It cannot look for a house that is better used as a comparable sale. And it certainly cannot see what upgrades a house has or conversely what poor condition a house might be in. A computer deals with averages. Yes, sometimes those estimates are not a bad guess, but often they are.
Therefore, use them at your pleasure but when it comes time to get the home selling process, ask for a professional to give you a home valuation. It can never be a specific number but we look for homes of the same age, size, location, and adjust for upgrades, specification location, i.e. near busy road or close to forest preserve. Hoe sellers will get a better idea at the outset what to expect and therefore make an education decision about what price to ask.
2018 – At the time of writing this, Barrington has had almost 10% of it’s housing inventory go through one or more price cuts. We have more than enough inventory here which is forcing the prices down.
Using our Home Search to See your Competition.
Selling homes where the market favors buyers or does not favor either is a competition. So reviewing your competitors homes and ask prices is something you might want to do. In a sellers market you would look to sales only and likely ask more than they did. Ask a REALTOR in your market whether you are in a buyers market or sellers or level. As you can see above homes in Barrington are dropping prices, it favors buyers. However if we look to nearby communities such as Palatine, Lake Zurich and Wauconda those markets are all sellers markets with homes selling under 90 days.
An extreme sellers market would be homes that sell in days and usually for above asking price.
An easy way to check out your competition is to use our home search. Please understand that the home portals do NOT have all the listings. They also have outdated information because they never remove homes when they sell. That converts into 3 or more listings for homes that sell often. Use our search because it has the active homes available on the multiple listing service today.
Your Involvement in the Process, Staging and Preparing for Sale.
As your real estate professional we look to you for help in certain areas that we have no control over. The best homes sell quickly, the rest may take a while longer, but there are things you can do to help sell faster than the expected timeframe.
- If you hire us to be your real estate professional we’ll gladly spend time with you inspecting your home and giving you a list of recommended actions to take before going to market. Based on years of experience in selling homes it’s not something we do for free. We work hardest for our clients!
- We may suggest staging either by a company or by making some changes to your own furniture and layouts.
- We ask your home to be clean and tidy for our photographer.
- Sellers must understand the need for easy access to a home for buyers to view. We’ll discuss all the options with you.
To list your home for sale we need a marketing agreement and several owner disclosures that are required by law. We’ll go through it all with you and then we can get to work.
Keeping your Marketing Rolling.
You help us and we’ll help you. We ask you to help with the preparation off a home to make it shine. What we do is to get the marketing right at the beginning. Yes this takes a little longer but it’s worth it!
Our marketing includes:
- Professional photos with clear view technology and editing to make sure your home looks perfect. We may include a floorpan, elevated photos and aerial photos with a drone. It all depends on your property. Our photographers are not point and click. They’ll spend 48 hours from shoot making sure everything is just right.
- At this time we can add your home to the multiple listing service and get in front of other agents and their buyers.
- We create a website for your home! This does take a little while but it won’t hold up the process of getting your home up for sale. We’ll be working on it while we wait for photos and finishing up in the following days. You’ll be able to direct your family, friends and even buyers you know to it to look. So much more powerful than a print flyer.
- While the website is being finished up we’ll be designing and ordering postcards for buyers who visit your home and for a targeted mail drop to other potential buyers.
- The website is shared in social media channels as well.
- We’ll be writing a few blog posts about your home as well to capture the interest of targeted buyers. This is done over time to gain fresh eyes and buyers. We love to know why you bought the house, it’s often the reason a new buyer will fall in love!
The buyer for your home will most likely come because of searching online and working with another agent. We must keep our marketing fresh. The internet has long replaced print advertising so it’s much easier for us to do this now. We will keep the photos inline with the seasons. If at anytime we feel we need to switch things up with the photos, we’ll do that. If we chose not to do something at the start, we’ll add it later.
From Offer to Contract to Closing, who does what? Who can I call?
Once you’ve hired us to be your real estate professional you can always call us. Here’s a breakdown of who does what and when:
- Your job is to get the home ready and keep it that way right until you close the sale.
- Our job is to market the home and keep it going right until closing.
- You and I will will assess your showings, are we getting enough, offers, why aren’t they coming, pricing, are we competitive? This throughout the time you are on the market for sale.
- Together we need to accommodate as many showing requests as possible, even if they start to be a pain in the rear!
- I am responsible for presenting every offer received, and yes all the way until closing.
- Once under contract you’ll need an attorney to handle the legal side of your sale. They are responsible for making sure you comply with the contract and that the buyers side does the same.
- You are responsible for moving out in time to close. You must cancel all property services.
- My job is to keep all this together, moving smoothly forward and handling any small issues as they arise. I am your support system.
Tell Me What I should Understand About Real Estate Commission.
Commission or compensation is what you pay your real estate brokerage to represent you. Of course you can try to sell on your own, that’s your right and your choice. Just remember that the price of homes typically has compensation wrapped into the price and has done for years and years because most homes use brokers to sell. A For Sale by Owner seller may cut his price, indeed maybe forced to cut his price because buyers understand they are not paying compensation. What a FSBO loses out on is dollars and support.
Real estate compensation is negotiable. There is no standard amount. You can negotiate the rate you are willing to pay. One thing to understand though is that real estate companies have the right to impose a minimum or even maximum their agents charge. Any difference can be an agents responsibility to make up. What a property seller needs to consider is what are you getting for the amount being quoted to you. If the rates from 3 agents are all the same, are the services? And if you manage to force said rate down are you losing any part of that service? What is the agent worth in your eyes? What service expectations do you have?
By now you should have a great understanding of home sellers process step by step. Maybe you’ve even thought we might be a good fit, you and I, to get the job done. Here’s little more about what we do.
The Home Sellers Process Must Embrace New Technology alongside Traditional Marketing.
My goal is to provide you with expert advice and pro-active marketing, leading to a successful sale with as little stress as possible. We are a little different to the competition. Instead of stating that we keep up with technology in the real estate industry, we embrace it and put into action new marketing techniques, trying out new things all the time. We try to cut down on wasted paper, utilize the internet for maximizing the marketing and reach of your home, and keep the marketing going, not just set it and forget it. Of course it’s not by reducing the regular methods of marketing such as the MLS, it’s by enhancing them. Let’s just say we hope you’ll see we have an elevated level of service all aimed at attracting buyers to your home.
I have been marketing and selling homes in and around Barrington Illinois for 15+ years. Prior to that I worked as a client service manager and also a mortgage underwriter in the finance industry. More important to me than anything is making sure we are a great match to work together in getting your home sold.
Call or send me an email below. We can set up an informal chat and discuss how I can best serve your Barrington IL & Northwest suburban real estate needs!
Corinne Guest – Barrington IL REALTOR®
Managing Broker and Owner of Barrington Realty Company
509 Old Northwest Hwy #140, Barrington, Il, 60010