Buying a home is likely the most important financial decision of your life so a little thought about how to find a good real estate agent to buy a home is recommended. Is it best to:
- Use a recommended real estate agent referred to you.
- Use those large advertising sites and fill in your details.
- Find a real estate agent that specializes in the area you want to buy.
- Interview more than one Realtor.
All real estate agents in Illinois are bound by the law of agency and must provide their clients with the duties of Care, Obedience, Accounting, Loyalty and Disclosure. We summarize this as a Fiduciary Relationship with our clients. However that does not mean that every real estate agent will be right for you. Let’s look at the ways you choose..
- A Real Estate Agent Recommended To You.
- Visit The Large Real Estate Listing Sites and Fill in a Form.
- Seek Out The Specialist For Your Property Type or Location.
- Interviewing Real Estate Agents.
- Pop Tart Real Estate Agents.
- How To Find A Good Real Estate Agent To Buy A Home.
A Real Estate Agent Recommended To You.
The good side to this is you can question the person referring the agent to you and find out what they liked and did not like. Why are they referring the agent? What was their transaction, did they buy or sell and is this similar to your goal. The negative is just that. If your transaction is not a mirror image there’s no guarantee your transaction will be as good. Proceed with caution.
Visit The Large Real Estate Listing Sites and Fill in a Form.
No matter which of these big portal sites you use, Trulia, Zillow etc they are not in the real estate business. They are advertising sites. Real estate agents can pay for your details to be sent to them. Fill in a form and your details can be sent to whoever is paying for your zip code. When it comes to Barrington and Inverness, our median home price is about $600,000. That’s very appealing to real estate agents because the commission checks are decent. So many agents want to advertise and get leads from areas about which they have no knowledge. It’s most likely your information will be sent to multiple agents.
Seek Out The Specialist For Your Property Type or Location.
Consider if you want to buy a horse property. How good would it be to find someone who specializes in selling horse properties. Do they have contributions based on previous sales that maybe even you had not thought of. What about buying a new home. Does the agent have more knowledge than everyone else, maybe they’ve built a house themselves. What about location? Remember what they say about real estate? Location, location, location! If your real estate agent has no knowledge about the location, how will that best serve your interests?
A specialist will always have more in depth knowledge than a generalist.
Interviewing Real Estate Agents.
Let’s face you likely realize we can all sell real estate in Illinois, it’s what our license permits us to do. So why bother? Simply personality! We are all different, just as you are. Your transaction will proceed smoothly if you find a real estate agent that thinks like you do. Are you all business by nature and want someone who works the same. Or are you worried about the idea of buying and need someone who has more patience and can hand hold along the way for as long as it takes. You get the idea. It’s a well known fact that like attracts like and that’s the goal when it comes to finding a good real estate agent to help you buy a home.
I guarantee if you raise your hand and say you want to find a real estate agent to help you buy a home, they’ll all come out of the woodwork to help. Working with the one that gets to you first may not be a very wise choice.
Pop Tart Real Estate Agents.
Are a dime a dozen. Let me explain. You’re online looking for homes you like. You may or may not be in a position to actually start viewing homes. But wow that one looks good and you want to go and see it. You call a Realtor and ask and you both hop in a car and go and view it.
That’s a pop tart Realtor. They never asked you any questions, the most imperative being to find out if you are already working with anyone else. It’s an attempt to grab you as a buyer. That’s not how we work. Whether by phone or in person we want to “meet” you first to make sure you’ll be happy working with us and to find out your goals. A relationship is a two sided affair. You should interview us and likewise us you, to make sure the relationship going forward will lead to a successful home purchase.
How To Find A Good Real Estate Agent To Buy A Home.
Our recommendations are:
- Find a local expert. Agents should be an expert by geographic area, property type, transaction type or situation. Go online and start researching the area you want to live. Cruise sites until you find one you connect with. How much content does their web site have? Does it answer your questions or is it all pictures.
- Find a resident agent. Residents will always know more about a community than an out of town agent. The only way to find this out is to ask. We’re happy to give you our address so you can check.
- Interview several real estate agents. Find someone who understands what you need and offers help rather than telling you it’s not possible.
- Consider using your listing agent if you are selling too, but only if that relationship is solid. There’s nothing wrong with having a separate agent for each transaction.
- Full time or part time. There’s nothing wrong with part time but understand up front why they are part time and make sure this works for you. i.e. can they talk on the phone if working another job.
- Experienced or new agent. Again the choice is yours and new agents can certainly be very enthusiastic.
- By the way you can check an Illinois real estate agents license status and for any disciplinary actions.
Can We Be Your Barrington Real Estate Buyers Agent?
We would love to meet with you and discuss your goals. Over the years we have found an interview with potential clients has resulted in more successful transactions. It gives you the opportunity of choosing or rejecting us and once we understand your goals we can provide our best advice on how to succeed or let you know we are just not the right match for you.
We are resident Barrington real estate agents and have lived here since 1996, with a 9 month period spent in Florida. Corinne has been practicing real estate since 2004 as a full time Broker. She holds the highest level of license too. Corinne does not profess to know everything, there’s one thing in real estate she’ll tell you “I learn something new every transaction I do, it’s intensely interesting!”
2014 looks to be a very exciting and busy year here in Barrington and I am ready to help you find your perfect Barrington home. Call me at 847-363-3686 and let’s talk. Or send me a message about your goals. Best wishes for a fun Christmas time.