Buyers of mansions in Chicago will look in more than one location. Unless considering a Mansion in Chicago City, buyers have a wide choice of locations to consider in the Chicago suburbs. Mansions and luxury homes are most available in the most expensive suburbs in Illinois. These are mostly located in the metro Chicago area.
We’ve talked before about Mansions in the Barrington area, now we’ll look at alternate options. Before we do that let’s look at the top 10 features you will look for in a mansion no matter where you think of buying.
- Size. The square footage of mansions in Chicago suburbs is likely the most important asset it will have.
- Kitchens. Buyers usually want the top chef grade kitchens, second prep kitchens and as applicable kitchens in basements for entertaining.
- Bedrooms. Whether for immediate family, multi generational families or for guests and family members to visit, bedroom count often increases with size but not always. Most mansions offer 6 or more bedrooms and the larger homes have master bedroom wings.
- Features not found in regular homes but often available in luxury homes: Swimming pools, theater rooms, cellars for wine storage, billiard rooms.
- A grand foyer or entry hall. Greet your guests in style and show your art in the gallery.
- Master bedroom wing with a Master dressing room or his and her dressings rooms.
- A library or study. Many owners of mansions in Chicago either work at home, from home or need home office space or a reading room.
- A formal reception room. For afternoon tea or a meeting place for guests.
- A ballroom or dance floor. After all, entertaining is common mansions in Chicago!
- A music or piano room. A grand room for the grand piano and pianist.
Sports facilities both indoor and outdoor may be important to families with children or grand children at home; or to those who enjoy activities such as riding and shooting. Equestrian facilities and shooting rooms for guns may be a top priority.
Car collections are not uncommon either. A car collection will be kept in a separate building to the family cars. Mansions on acreage should provide enough space but permission may be needed for an outbuilding.
Heated garages and elevators are often on the list of wants.
Mansion home styles are dictated a little by the location. Whereas the mansions in Chicago suburbs have lots of land space to use a variety of property styles, mansions in Chicago have much less land and need to combine a more vertical aspect with architectural home style. For all, styles include, Georgian, Contemporary, Traditional, Greystones, Brownstones, Colonial, Victorian, Tudor, Federal and Mid Century Modern.
Mansions in Chicago
In the central part of the city buyers will often find mansions in Lincoln Park, The Gold Coast and luxury high rise condos in the Magnificent Mile. This makes working in the city a breeze and proximity to shopping and leisure is literally at your doorstep. Here are the available mansions for sale in Chicago City. Land space is a premium in the city so luxury mansions with acreage is reserved for the suburbs. The average city lot size is a quarter acre to a zero lot.
Zero lot properties often have roof decks as out door living space.
There are no mansion homes in The Loop or Streeterville. For a mansion here you’ll have to think vertical mansion and choose a high rise, but just think of those views! Mansion homes in the city area are commonly close to Lake Michigan.
Chicago historic mansions are available to buy downtown especially in the Gold Coast area of Chicago. Many mansion are more vertical in style including Greystones and contemporary styles. You’ll also find younger homes in the city. Browse the listings to find your perfect home.
Mansions in Chicago Suburbs
Suburban Chicagoland is vast. There are several areas that are considered luxury communities. There are many that offer luxury homes for $2 million and up. When looking for a mansion in the suburbs of Chicago buyers are first and foremost looking for expansive square footage. Because this is not always known for a property, I’ve set the minimum price at $3 million. Homes in this price range will appear, for the most part, in the North and Northwest Suburbs.
If waterfront is your passion, the suburbs have plenty of options. Lake Michigan is a dream but we have some size-able lakes in the burbs. The Coves in South Barrington has an 85 acre lake, nearby are Hawley Lake and Goose Lake both with some substantial properties adjacent. Scroll down to see what’s on offer.
Here you can see the most expensive homes in Chicago Suburbs. The north and northwest suburbs have the most choice of Chicago luxury homes for sale. If your budget is a little less you can search for homes in your price range.